A few weeks ago we discovered a large green box sitting at the front of our block. Since that faithful Friday disappointment turned into anger before transforming (pun intended) into acceptance.
After searching again for land and homes in the Torquay area we decided to continue with plans to build our dream new home on our current block. We didn’t want to wait for another block of land to become available and we wouldn’t see the transformer from inside the house or our backyard. It wasn’t perfect, but something we could live with.
After consultation with our conveyancer we contacted the agent to start a conversation regarding compensation. How much land were we going to lose? What impact would it have on resale value (not that we’re planning to sell any time soon)?
To my surprise the agent was shocked when I suggested that we had a transformer on our block. He knew there was a transformer in our stage release but it was supposed to be next door. The agent was going to check the location and come back to us…
An hour later we spoke again and he confirmed that the transformer and the easement around it were located on the neighbouring block!
He also advised that we could arrange soil tests, an important step before confirming final costs with our builder.
To make sure the agent was 100% correct I purchased a measuring tape and made a trip down to the block. Sure enough the right hand side of the transformer easement coincided with the left hand side of our 16 metre frontage block.
So how did I get it so wrong and cause a few weeks of heartache?
- I stepped out the frontage from a marker peg on the right hand side of our block and finished in front of the transformer. If each step was a little more than a metre I’d added an extra couple of metres by the time I’d stepped 16 times. Subconsciously I probably assumed the 16 metres would be the front of the transformer and stepped wider to make it there!
- Similar transformers in previous stages were placed in the middle of 2 blocks so we figured the developer would do the same again in our stage.
- There was no official marker peg on the left hand side of our block to use as a reference point.
Whatever the root cause we’re very happy that the transformer isn’t sitting in our front yard. Sure, it’s still next door but it can be hidden with some smart planting and fencing.
During my quick measuring excursion I also noticed that trees were being planted on the nature strips in front of each house.
So, after a few weeks of moping about we’re ready to launch into the next stages.
- Soil testing
- Lock down construction costs
- Finance approval
- Title received (forecast end of April)
- Land settlement