This week has seen various touch-ups being tackled after the walkthrough last Friday. Certificate of occupancy has been issued and final invoices forwarded to the bank for payment. All things going smoothly we should have handover next Friday and be moving in!
A mixed bag of tasks completed this week
Minor modifications to WIR cabinets
Address water leak in upstairs bedroom
Caulking around all skirting and cabinetry downstairs
Install and commissioning of outdoor condenser for heating and cooling
Install of rangehood and external venting kit
Caulking of gaps between doorways and timber flooring
A few photos from this week
Heading and cooling unit installed and ready
Not much to look at but the small panel mounted on the wall is a tablet that will control the heating and cooling system
The site supervisor had already carried out his own review and the painters and plasterers had performed a series of touch-ups in preparation for our walkthrough. Overall the review went well, the house looks great and we can’t wait to move in.
However, between us and the builder we identified further areas that require additional touch-ups. For the most part, nothing too serious, just a bit of additional gap filling, sanding and painting required. On the larger scale the WIR cabinets in the master bedroom didn’t match the dimensions on the plan so they’ll need to be replaced and the extreme weather over the past few days uncovered a leak in some of the flashing that introduced an unplanned water feature in Riley’s bedroom.
So, instead of a weeks worth of finishing it’ll probably be closer to 2 weeks. That includes the install of kitchen appliances and some of the electrical fittings. So close, but not yet.
Rather than share some photos of the almost finished house I thought I’d post some photos of our current temporary accommodation. It’s more beach shack that beach house but we know it’s a temporary stop-over before we move into our dream home.
Not long now…
Modern stove and oven
Walk in pantry
The main bathroom with step in shower/bath combo
Water saving showerhead
Hardcore door handles
Creative electrical work
Feature light in the lounge with timber lined walls and ceiling
Another week passes by and we inch closer to handover. As you’d expect, there’s lots of small changes, with no structural work going on. Our site supervisor has done his initial walkthrough and placed marking tape on the various elements that need filling, painting, cleaning, straightening and replacing. We’ve been given a tentative walkthrough date of May 8 (next Tuesday). Potential handover date – May 18/19.
Updates for the past week
Outdoor shower installed
Additional plumbing fittings
Work scheduled for this week
NBN fibre to the premises. Yeah!
Carpets in the office.
Polished floors, clean walls and shiny cupboards. Almost ready to move in.
All windows have been cleaned with dirty marks and manufacturer stickers removed.
Another productive week with more boxes ticked off.
Lead-in connection for NBN installed
Shelving for robes
The floor sanders started on Friday and carpet install is booked in for next week so all floors will be covered by the end of the week. From there it’ll be time for the builder to organise final touch-ups in order to prepare for handover.
Shower screen in ensuite.
Sometimes it’s the little things, like door handles!
Timber capping on the raked wall for the stairs.
Glass sliding doors in the office.
Shower screen, mirror and plumbing fittings installed in the main bathroom.
After many months the temporary fence has finally been removed, providing a clear view of the house. As an added bonus the onsite porta-loo has also been removed providing our first photo of the house facade without a dunny in front!
Progress onsite this week
Water-proofing of outdoor shower
Commenced install of plumbing fixtures
Installed door furniture
Install of shelving
Install of data cabling and cabinet
Sealed the concrete driveway
A bit more upstairs that we couldn’t see
Plan for the week ahead
Tiling for outdoor shower
Timber floor sanding and coating
Front facade without the fence and toilet.
The kitchen sink now has a tap.
A view of cabinetry installed in the entry from the garage. Not sure why it’s there – we didn’t ask for it!?
Recycled water taps installed.
Data cabinet installed in the garage. Ready for NBN fibre to the premises – yeah!
After a slower than expected February (hold-ups with the painters) we’re a further month down the track and the painting is now complete (still some tidy-ups to carry out).
Bathroom vanity cabinets are now in place and painting of walls, ceiling, skirting and architraves give the house a more finished feel.
This Monday is a public holiday in Victoria so there will be no work onsite however the tiles have been delivered and the tiler has been booked to start work on Tuesday. We expect he’ll be close to finishing by the end of the week. After tiling is complete we should see a rush of trades applying the finishing touches.
In no particular order…
Electrical points (power-points, lights and switches)
Door furniture (handles/locks)
Timber capping and handrail for stairs
Additional paint touch-ups
Timber floor sanding and coating
Additional concreting – alfresco, shower and driveway
Installation of vents and outside compressor for heating and cooling unit
Garage door install
Kitchen appliances installed
Depending on the scheduling of trades we’re still hopeful of moving in mid/late April. Fingers crossed!
A video of our most recent walkthrough.
Scroll down for a collection of recent onsite photos.
Vanity in ground floor powder room.
Vanity in en suite.
Vanity in main bathroom.
Deliver of tiles, ready to be installed in bathrooms and laundry.
Stairs – ground floor to landing.
Front door with stain applied.
Paint applied to office.
Spotted gum at front of house with clear coat finish applied.